Description provided by the program
All skills and techniques related to the creation of costumes; a faculty of working professional designers and professional staff teaches dance, opera, film and television costume design. Curriculum includes life drawing, digital rendering, and history of costume, history of décor, history of costume design, CPlotPro, SyncOnSet, and costume construction. Graduate and undergraduate students have opportunities to design realized theater, television and film productions. Emphasis is on preparing students for professional careers. Graduate students are required to intern and to assist professionals working in Los Angeles and at costume houses in Hollywood. Doctoral students research and study the history and influence of costume on popular culture via a separate application to Theater and Performance Studies in the UCLA/TFT Theater Department or Cinema Media Studies in the UCLA/TFT Film Department. The research hub for costume studies is the David C. Copley Center for the Study of Costume Design.
Areas of Focus
- Deborah Nadoolman Landis, PhD: Professor and David C. Copley Chair; Director, David C. Copley Center for Costume Design.
- Chrisi Karvonides Dushenko: Professor, Costume Design.
- Raquel Barreto: Assistant Professor, Costume Design.
- Paul Girard: Lecturer and Costume Shop Academic Coordinator.
- Jane Ruhm: Visiting Lecturer, Costume Design.
- Robin Schneider: Visiting Lecturer, Photoshop Rendering for Costume Design.
- Gina DeDominco Flanagan: Visiting Lecturer, Life Drawing and Costume Illustration.
- Sandy Powell: Copley Center/Swarovski Designer in Residence.
- James Acheson: Copley Center/Swarovski Designer in Residence.
- Michele Clapton: Copley Center/Swarovski Designer in Residence.
- Silvia Baker: MAC Cosmetics/ Artist in Residence.
- Visiting Guests in Costume Design: Danny Glicker, Eduardo Castro, Judianna Makovsky, Arianne Phillips, Jeffrey Kurland, Jacqueline West, Julie Weiss, Mark Bridges .
- Stephanie Workman: Costume Shop Supervisor
- Richard Magnanti: Senior Wardrobe Technician
- Minta Manning: Senior Wardrobe Technician
General Contact Information
Barrett Korerat, Theater Counselor
UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television
102 East Melnitz Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095
General information: 310-206-8441